My Threads in Time
A Thread in Time
A Thread in Time produces original fiber art designs, which are the results of my accumulative years of learning how to manipulate fibers. It all started in 5th grade when my cousin Jeanne taught me how to use a sewing machine. Much of my High School wardrobe was sewn on mom's Kenmore. I also made some of mom's clothes. In my senior year of high school I took a tailoring course which resulted in expanding my wardrobe to include blazers and shirts to go with pants, skirts and dresses all of which were created on that beautiful Kenmore sewing machine.
My time in college was learning landscape and greenhouse work. My father was a landscaper. I enjoyed watching him as a kid. Each house we lived in received Albert's eye for landscape and gardening. He was my inspiration to learn more about the beauty of nature. In later years I became a master gardener in 2 counties in Maine. I also followed Albert's custom of landscaping and establishing gardens at each house i lived in.
Knitting followed sewing. Knitting became my go to thing when the kids were small. The colors and variations of the yarn was intriguing. There were so many items that could be created with yarn and needles. It was something I could easily pick up and knit a row or a few inches of creativity. Sewing was out at this time because the pins were not kid friendly. And the kids hated wearing mommy made clothes.
Intertwined with sewing, knitting, and gardening was building and remodeling houses we have owned. My husband and I physically hammered the nails, finished the walls, worked the trim, added siding to the exterior of our house. We did some or all of these jobs to parts or all of each house we owned. This gave me a great appreciation of what it took to build a house. It also was learning that to
"measure twice ,cut once" would help to do a job right the first time. All of this took time and planning,
Each piece I do is inspired by the local architecture. In Maine, along coastal waters and major rivers sprang many ship building yards. Within each yard were craftsmen who could turn trees into beauty. These skillful craftsmen created beautiful wooden sailing vessels. They were shaping the wood, with pride, into not only a functional ship, but a work of art. This talent is also evident in the houses within ship building towns.
All of these "parts" taught me how to read the fibers. Make them change from flat to shapely. I am so lucky to now have time to combine my years of experience into art that makes me happy. The designs are brought to life in my studio in Richmond, Maine.
Though this blog I am hoping to take you with me, to the studio, and show you finished projects. Currently I am working on commissioned pieces. There is a shop here in Richmond that carries my art. So if you want to se it first hand, please visit Magpie's on Main, located at 54 Main Street. It is my hope to find a couple more studios who will display my art.
So here I am, working in my studio, on an amazing house build in one of those coastal towns in Maine
I love this, Cindy, and reading it brought back many wonderful memories from the past for me as well.
ReplyDeleteI also remember that Kemore, too, and made many of my clothes on it.
ReplyDelete